[TenTec] boost mobile voltage?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] boost mobile voltage?
From: Bob Stephens <bstephens1@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 07:54:19 -0400
I thinking of getting a W4RRY battery booster for my mobile/portable work.

The problem:
1.The 50 watt (10 amp key down) Scout will not work properly with the engine off or with the engine in idle. Among other things, the frequency becomes quite unstable during transmit. However, the rig work fine when the car is in motion and the RPMs are up. The Scout also works fine when used in a base station with regulated voltage.

2. My Corsair has similar but less problems when operated in the car. It will not operate properly with the engine off. Sometimes it will work ok with the engine on idle, but other times it does not. I think this may have something to do with whether or not the electric fan for the engine is on. It seems to me that the amount of load is a factor (?)

Meter readings:

1. With the engine off, the battery shows 12.51 volts at the radio end of the cable. However, if I transmit in SSB for 10 seconds and recheck the voltage , it drops down to 12 volts.

2.The meter reads 14.2 volts when the engine is running.

conclusion?

I'm guessing that my car electric system is not delivering full power under load. Would the W4RRY booster be one way to solve the problem?

tnx & 73
Bob, KB1CIW

p.s. tnx to those who helped me find the new site for W4RRY

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.