Re: [TenTec] RFI question for Orion and other TT rigs

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RFI question for Orion and other TT rigs
From: Tommy <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:10:35 -0400
I'm certainly not disagreeing with Gary...BUT

What is THE most important part of your ham radio system? In my
opinion, it's your antenna. Why not build your antenna carefully and
correctly to begin with, then buy your expensive radio's of your
choice. It seems to me that if you follow the simple suggestions in
the ARRL Handbook and design your antenna system so it is NOT some
odd quarter wave length into your shack, you probably will not ever
have to deal with the RFI issue at all? Isn't that why that
information is in the Handbook?

In my short and active 53 years in the hobby, the ONLY time I ever
had an RFI problem was when I had one end of my 80m dipole directly
over the top of my house. Any power output greater than 500w and my
Hercules amp would just go nuts! The ONLY solution necessary was to
move the antenna about 10' further away from the house. I learned
that little lesson by experience. Building a ham station that works
well requires a little bit of knowledge and a LOT of common sense.

BTW, when your having 'strange' problems with a Ten Tec rig, one of
the first things that Paul Clinton will ask you is "where is your
antenna located?"

Tommy - W4BQF