Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI and fast switching amp hook up ?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI and fast switching amp hook up ?
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:11:09 -0800
Hi Rog,

I ran a couple of QRO amps for several years with my Omni VI and VI+.

The Omni VI has about a 10ms delay when you hit the first dit, until it
actually applies RF.  But it switches the T/R relay immediately.
The Jennings relays in the QRO's are fast.

Still, like you, I didn't really like running true QSK like that, so I used
an external box I built to adjust the "hold time" of the QRO's relay.  I set
mine such that it would return to RX between words, but not between letters.

I ran both transceivers and both amps (simultaneously) in several M/S and
M/M contest operations and never had a problem.  Since these were
multi-operator events, the rigs were being keyed 48 hours continuously.

73
Rick