Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI and fast switching amp hook up ?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI and fast switching amp hook up ?
From: Tommy <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 06:46:32 -0500
I'm not sure why, suddenly, there is a perceived 'problem' with Ten
Tec radios and/or amplifiers running full QSK?

I have been doing QRQ CW for over 30 years with their equipment,
running CW at speeds in excess of 100 wpm. And I personally can not
operate CW without full QSK, be it 20 wpm or 80 wpm. I have owned
Corsair's, Omni C's, Omni 6's, Omni 6 Plus's, and Icom IC-781
transceivers. I have owned Ten Tec amplifier's only, primarily
because they have shown me to be the amplifier with the best and most
reliable amplifiers for full QSK. Probably the quickest full QSK
amplifier for full QSK is the Alpha 87A with it's PIN diode
switching, however you better make sure you never make the mistake of
keying it into a high SWR. The Ten Tec amplifiers I have owned are
the Hercules 444, Titan 425, and now a Titan 3.

Ten Tec makes full QSK, with their transceiver/amplifer's extremely
easy to configure with their TX OUT/TX EN circuitry in both the xcvr
and the amplifiers. I have never found any need at all to make any
modifications whatsoever to any Ten Tec rig or amplifier in order to
have it run full QSK at any speed I choose to operate. The QSK
circuitry, especially in the Titan 3, in very complex and very
complete. With the Titan 3, there is no possible way you 1) can
damage the amplifier, 2) can damage the xcvr, 3) can have any timing
problems at all.

Ten Tec's reputation has been built over the years as having what
most users call 'silky smooth full QSK'. That is a well deserved
reputation! The discussion of modifying Ten Tec's QSK circuitry, in
my opinion, is based upon not understanding how well it performs and
how reliable it is and has been for many years. The discussion of the
'problem' with being able to inadvertently key a Ten Tec xcvr by
placing an incorrect signal to TX EN has to be based upon one's
inability to follow Ten Tec's simple instruction's in every one of
their products manuals.

Vacuum relays can be a problem. If you run no more than about 40 wpm,
the vacuum relay's in Ten Tec amps most likely will last forever. If
you run QRQ CW full   QSK, you may have fatigue failure with them.
This, of course, is a relay manufacturing problem and not a Ten Tec
design problem.

"I believe the optimal solution would be for the Omni to go into
transmit if both J-2 and J-1 were driven low, that way only a
response to the Omni
  transmit request would put the transmitter on the air.  That would
require additional logic in the transceiver."  I believe the present
design is the optimal solution! If you drive both J1 and J2 low, then
transceiver, as designed, will not key. Basically, if it ain't broke,
don't try to fix it !

Tom - W4BQF