Re: [TenTec] Orion with V2 rf gain

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion with V2 rf gain
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:33:20 -0500
We don't want beta testers to violate their non-disclosure agreements.
 They would have to sacrifice their first-borns, I think.  (Of course,
the O II is now visible "in the wild".)

The S-meter rising with lower RF gain is an artifact of how the RF
gain control was implemented on ancient tube-type radios.  IIRC, it
was by injecting a DC level into the AGC loop.

I prefer the current (1.372) system, where the S meter stays constant.
 In my view, the S-meter should give you the best estimate of the
actual signal level at the antenna connector.  When you insert RF
attenuation, the S meter should not change, either. An S9 signal
should be an S9 signal, no matter how you fiddle with your controls.

It's a small thing, of course.  Have another glass of holiday cheer!

73 Martin AA6E

martin.ewing@gmail.com
http://blog.aa6e.net