Re: [TenTec] Orion with V2 rf gain

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion with V2 rf gain
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:46:48 -0500
I agree that the semi-traditional RF Gain vs S-meter action has a
value -- showing the AGC threshold and S-level above threshold.  There
is a place for this.  There is also a place for a "true" signal
strength indicator.  You might think that in these digital days, we
could have both -- or choose the one we want.

This is an area where DSP rigs like Orion have a lot of room for
improvement.  They could give us a lot more information *about* our
signals - not just S reading, but noise & QRN properties, AGC action,
really good spectral displays that let you analyze modulation, etc.
On xmit, they could give you a scope display of modulation, IMD
analysis, etc.  The rigs could support all kinds of digital modulation
and demodulation without soundcard kluges.  Icom & Yaesu are edging in
this direction.

Progress is probably limited by the manufacturers' software budget -
and limited user demand (at the beginning).  That's a good reason to
open the software process to volunteer developer/enthusiasts ala Flex
Radio.  (The ultimate in soundcard kluges!) Easier said than done for
a mainline hardware company that uses proprietary development tools.

73 Martin AA6E

martin.ewing@gmail.com
http://blog.aa6e.net