Re: [TenTec] Orion with V2 rf gain

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion with V2 rf gain
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:57:04 -0600
On of the reasons that I prefer to NOT have the S meter move up scale when
reducing RF gain is during periods of operation when noise levels are high.
Thus if I encounter a noise level of say S5 or higher, I reduce the RF gain
to the point the S meter indicates S 1 or S 2.  At that point any signal
above the noise becomes very readable.   Also this method preserves the full
dynamic range of the receiver.  With the other method, I have receivers that
work both ways, if the RF gain is reduced to the point where the noise is
reduced then the weak signal must still be above the noise level but it is
difficult of know just what amount of RF gain reduction is necessary and it
appears that the dynamic range is not preserved.

As they say, "I like to have my cake and eat it too."

73
Bob, K4TAX