Re: [TenTec] [Orion] Orion II Noise Blankers

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [Orion] Orion II Noise Blankers
From: Lin Davis <linbdavis@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 01:15:11 -0500
Hi Grant,

Well, I re-read those sections, and have read them many times before, and I
stand by what I wrote earlier. I believe there is different NR code for the
Orion I (pre-V2) and that is what that manual description was written about,
not
the the way it is implemented in the O2. It was then left in the manual when
they word-smithed all the "Orion" character strings to "Orion II" and put it
out
as the Orion II manual. This is based on my own observations, and on all I've
been reading on this and other reflectors about how the NR behavior has changed
on the O1 going from V1.xxx to V2.xxx. It sounds like O1 V2 implements is as it
is in the O2.

Here's why I say this. The manual states that with a NR setting of 1 with a
very
weak signal, "it's going to take a *very long time* for the algorithm to figure
out....". Well, there just doesn't appear to be any lag at all when NR 1 (as
opposed to NR 2 or 5, etc) is turned on, regardless of whether there is a weak
or strong signal or no signal at all.
Another thing the manual description claims is that once the NR has adapted,
changing the NR value will have no effect. Again, this is contrary to what I've
observed. If the NR is on 1, even for an extended time, then you increase the
value, a difference IS heard; it does have an effect.

Besides, there is no way to filter out random, white noise within a given
passband, if the passband is made smaller, a user listening to a SSB signal
would notice the bandwidth reduction in an instant, but that's not what one
hears with the NR. Like I said, it behaves like an expander function would (on
the O2 anyway - have not played with the O1).

I'd appreciate hearing others experiences about this ...

73,
Lin
WB1AIW