Re: [TenTec] Reflector is getting effective at killing sales

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Reflector is getting effective at killing sales
From: Craig Roberts <crgrbrts@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 11:22:23 -0400
What members of the "I hate Orion II..." crowd -- cranks and curmudgeons
aside -- will do is help the manufacturer improve the product. Rarely
does the first production run(s) of any device meet fully the
expectations of the designers or the consumers (one reason it's not
always wise -- if you want a tweak-free experience -- to purchase an
initial model, especially if the product is a complex one utuilizing
newer technologies). In a perfect world, a manufacturer would have the
luxury of "real world" field testing of line-built products in all
conditions for a considerable length of time. But, the economic
realities of manufacturing do not allow that. I'm guessing at least one
or two of the people unhappy with their new Orions (and justifiably so)
were also the ones anxiously calling Sevierville a few months ago and
demanding to know when their new radios would arrive.

Obviously, good business dictates that a manufacturer not release a
product prematurely in order to meet acute market demand, but a maker
can't afford to wait too long, either. It costs real mney -- and lots of
it -- to develop a new product and that expense must be recovered in a
timely fashion. I am the EX-marketing manager of a high-tech firm whose
beleagured engineers took too long to perfect a product before release.
That company is no longer in business.

Ten Tec has a well-deserved reputation for product excellence and
responsive customer service. Be a little patient. They will make it
right. In the meantime, carefully documented and accurately reported
fault findings provide the company with very valuable feedback. Befoer
long, you'll get the Orion of your dreams as the result.

73,

Craig
W3CRR