Re: [TenTec] 2.033

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 2.033
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 07:05:21 -0400
NQ5T:

 >the one thing I'm absolutely certain of is that it
adds nothing to (S+N)/N ratio, and at any BW below
about 1000 Hz actually degrades it.

         Just to clarify Orion's implementation
of DSP NR, I believe your statement is true for ANY
DSP rig with real-time processing (i.e the DSP is
achieving NR simply by BW reduction).  To do more
(e.g. JPL's image enhancements) requires reprocessing
the recorded signal many times with literally hours of
latency even using super-computers.

         There is no free lunch and DSP is not magic,
despite what some manufacturers (notably not Ten-Tec)
would lead you to believe.

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV