Re: [TenTec] 2.033

To: <geraldj@storm.weather.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 2.033
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 23:09:56 -0400
Right you are Jerry....the remaining signal after the technique I described
is applied is indeed pretty hacked up.  Part of my point in talking about it
was to try and bring that very fact out to people....that the sound can have
a very odd quality (rather, lack of quality) to it after this is done.

Adaptive and predictive filters work also in some situations.  But I seemed
to remember Doug telling me that they were using the technique I described
at the Hamfest way back when they introduced the Orion down at Ten Tec
central.  BUT.....my memory of that conversation is NOT totally clear, and
so I do not claim to know for a fact that this is so.

Incidentally, I am familiar with the dual AGC proposal, and I have the
timewave DSP-59+ and occasionally use the AGC that it provides.  Having
another AGC loop inside the radio would indeed be of great use in these
kinds of situations, and in several others.

And yes, correlated (more or less) noise can also creep in, and really mess
up the DSP process if correlation is the technique being used.  Knowledge of
the signal type, as you state, can help there, even in that case.  I don't
have any idea how advanced their algorithm is, and to what extent, if any,
they use a priori knowledge of the signal to improve the filter over a
simple correlation model.

Regards,

Gary, AA2IZ