Re: [TenTec] Ham Radio

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ham Radio
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 08:58:47 -0700
Scott:  That is good news that the development of v. 2 is continuing on the
Orion and Orion II.  I'm sure all on the list would agree that we would like
to see some sort of listing on the TT website of the known issues that are
being worked on, or even an occasional update e-mail here on the list.  It
would quell a lot of dissent put the product in a more positive light.

The big issues that still need to be addressed are:
    1).    Auto and Manual notch not in AGC loop.  Specs on the TT website
specifically says it is in the loop.
    2).    Better noise reduction scheme.
    3).    Crazy S-meter. (I know that 15 MHz WWV can't possibly be S9+60 dB
with the preamp off near San Francisco!  That's 50,000 uV or 50 mV.  Same
readings on hams with inverted V's and 500 Watts 200 miles away on 75
meters)
    4).    Fix offset between main and sub receivers when set to same
frequency. Offset calibration in menu needed as well one to allow 'zeroing'
on WWV.

Is TT working on the AGC as mentioned by Bob Sherwood?  Adjustable attack
time would fix the problem he mentioned.

Ron N6AHA