Re: [TenTec] Ham Radio

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ham Radio
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 14:58:11 -0500 (CDT)
Well John, that is the question, isn't it?

Consider:
-- How much does it cost to re-engineer classic equipment for currently
available components?
-- What's a minimum run to break even?  To make a decent profit?
-- How much do you potentially lose by scheduling the equipment run, when you
could be making something else that's (more) profitable?
-- What's the market?  (ie, who's going to actually buy it)?

Those last two are very important to any manufacturer.  Let's face it, if you
only stand to make $X on a small run of a speciality item, and stand to make
$XXX on a run of a different item, the different item will tend to go first
almost every time.  And a relatively small company can't afford to warehouse
hundreds and hundreds of radios (or whatever) in the hopes that they'll
eventually sell; they may wait until they have enough orders on hand to justify
a production run, and build a few extra to cover demos, last minute purchases &
warranty issues, but that's going to be about that.

It's more than just the development costs.

73, ron w3wn