Re: [TenTec] OMNI V 500 hz. filter

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI V 500 hz. filter
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@mendelson.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 01:10:36 +0200
On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 04:43:23PM -0600, Donald L. Schliesser wrote:
> Ten-Tec?  Since their hourly rate is $60, maybe just as well to buy a
> used one for $60-70 including shipping.  Anyone have any ideas?

IMHO the question is how much of a problem is it? If you listen with
headphones and switch between filters, it can be a big problem. If
you just leave it set on one filter and change it occasionaly, it's not.

Some people start with a wide filter and then "home in" on a signal with
decreasing bandwidth. In that case the rapid change in volume would
be annoying. However, if you just set it at 500Hz, and search for
CQs to answer, it's not going to affect you much.

Then there is the astetic part of it. Will knowing that one of the filters
may be defective bother you?

To really throw a monkey wrench into the works, are you sure it's the 500
that's bad? My experience, which is somewhat limited, is that the narrower
a filter, the more the signal is reduced. Is it possible the 250 is
the defective one?

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838