Re: [TenTec] ten tecs have 100 watts out on carrier??

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ten tecs have 100 watts out on carrier??
From: Shawn Upton <kb1ckt@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 14:31:01 -0700 (PDT)
Fundamentally, a carrier is a carrier.  A CW carrier
is modulated on/off, while an AM carrier is constant
(for the duration of the transmission that is).

However, the peak output power for a given transmitter
is fixed.  For many rigs, this is 100W peak output
power.

Now, a CW signal is nothing more than a carrier, so a
CW signal can be the full 100W.  Not so for an AM
signal: there is a voice component also.  If the
carrier was 100W, then there would be zero power left
for the voice signal.  [Signal power adds directly in
this fashion.]  It's been a while since I've read up
on this, but the maximum numbers is 1/2 of the
available power goes to the carrier, 1/2 of the power
goes into voice--which is actually 1/4 of available
power goes into each sideband.  [This is why SSB is so
much more efficent--far more power can go into just
one sideband, none lost to a carrier.]

That answer the question?

Shawn
KB1CKT

--- john ferro <foxbat426@hotmail.com> wrote:

> actually you have not helped me out - you still have
> not answered the question - whats the difference
> between an am carrier and cw carrier? if it's the
> same as some people say why on a japanese radio the
> am carrier is only 25 to 50 watts (depending on the
> radio) when the mic is keyed vs. 100 watts on the
> same jap radio cw mode keyed down - all assuming swr
> is 1? i understand the swr fold back issue.

Shawn Upton, KB1CKT