Re: [TenTec] dual receive

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] dual receive
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:53:50 -0700 (PDT)
The RX-320 and the Pegasus/Jupiter are conceptually very
similar, but there are some really quite significant
differences circuit-wise.

The RX-320's analog signal path is this:

1. Antenna.
2. Single fixed low pass filter (first IF rejection).
3. 1st mixer (pair J310's).
4. 45 MHz roofing filter.
5. BF998 gain stage
6. Diode ring 2nd mixer (MMSD914's).
7. 455 kHz filter.
8. 2x MMBT3904 gain stage.
9. Diode ring 3rd mixer (MMSD914's).
10 AD1847 CODEC.

The Pegasus/Jupiter (probably) analog signal path is this
(ignoring the TX items):

1. Antenna.
2. Band switched bandpass filters.
3. 1st mixer (pair J310's).
4. 45 MHz roofing filter.
5. BF998 gain stage
6. Diode ring 2nd mixer (BAT68_04's).
7. 455 kHz filter.
8. 2x MMBT3904 gain stage (with IF gain adjustment).
9. Diode ring 3rd mixer (MMSD914's).
10 AD1847 CODEC.

Also the RX 320 has no provision for RF gain or attenuation
in the signal path like the Pegasus/Jupiter do (which is
really unfortunate). I find that to make the RX-320 truly
listenable on 80M with a dipole during noisy summer band
conditions I need put between 15 and 20 dB of attenuation in
front of the antenna input. Once I do that it really is quite
pleasant to listen to.

Duane
N9DG