Re: [TenTec] Headphone amp (was, Heil headphones)

To: "John Unger" <w4au@verizon.net>,"tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Headphone amp (was, Heil headphones)
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:32:25 -0800
Since I've been traveling, I'm late to contribute to this thread. My RFI
tutorial includes an appendix on audio interfacing, impedances, sensitivity,
and so on. K4TAX is pretty much on target with his comments, but some may find
that my tutorial fills in some gaps.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

>I, too, suffer from low headphone volume (compared with the speaker) from
>my Orion I. But why build something you don't have to? My solution was to
>use a Behringer HA400, description from web below.

I've worked in broadcasting and pro audio since 1960 (and still do). This
company is well known in the pro audio world as a VERY bad citizen. Their
products are NOT well made, many are copies of other products (compare with
Mackie, Rane, Aphex, for example), even to the extent of mistakes on the
original circuit boards, and customer support is non-existent. Reputable audio
contractors and consultants avoid their products. The FCC has repeatedly cited
their violations of FCC Rules. A google search will turn up lots of
information about these issues. It's easy to sell for cheap when you don't
have to hire engineers to design your products, build them cheaply, and don't
support them.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC