Re: [TenTec] K3 vs Orion One

To: Ten-Tec Reflector <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] K3 vs Orion One
From: Rick Williams <ve7asr@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 23:02:06 -0700 (PDT)
Charles, as others have already stated I too have had
EXCELLENT support from the service department on the
T-T rigs I have owned.  They have bailed me out and
bent over backwards to get my rigs on the air.  They
have provided expert assistance over the phone and
through emails.  I have no complaints about the
Ten-Tec Service. (Firmware development is another
matter.)

I agree, to a point, that the Orion is different from
other radio's I have owned.  It is also extremely
flexible.  There isn't a BEST settings for CW or a
BEST settings for SSB.  Settings are very personal and
what might be great for me won't be acceptable for
many others.  I have found one of the best starting
points for suggestions are the users on this reflector
(For example, see Sinisa's VA3TTN
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/TenTec/2004-02/msg00903.html
article on the Using the Orion Receiver).  Take a look
through the archives and try some of the suggestions.
There are lots on how to "play with the AGC" for
example.

I don't agree that "these rigs are poor just of the
box".  They are different and a little bit of research
and experimentation will, hopefully, personalize it
for you.

Rick
VE7TK