Re: [TenTec] K3 vs. Orion I

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] K3 vs. Orion I
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 13:24:30 EDT
Oh Contraire!  I had a major problem with my K3.  Their technical  assistance
guy was NOT impressive, I had to call and email multiple times,  repeating
the same information until I was spitting mad!

After about a week, I finally got to talk to one of their engineers.   We
were able to work around the issue and triage the radio so that I could stay
on
the air!  I'm waiting for the second K3 to arrive so that I can send the
first one back to get a permanent repair.  At issue is runaway current on  the
PA.

This whole experience left me longing for my Ten-Tec technical support, and
longing for my Omni VIs again.  I'll be brutally honest -- for all the  hype,
I just don't like the K3 at all so far.  I really don't like the  display,
some of the ergonomics, the radio's appearance, and some aspects  of the
radio's
performance.

I had the opportunity to text the K3 side by side with my Omni VI and I
could discern little difference in performance.  This, however, was  not under
contest conditions.  Don't trash Ten-Tec, I've had a 27 year  marriage with
them,
I temporarily fell for another, but I may just make amends  and beg them to
take me back!

I make these criticisms with some authority.  I don't contest  very much, but
I get on for every CW Sprint that I can.  I've won the  contest in the Low
Power category, and of the 15 or so Sprints that I've  entered, I've finished
near the top many times, and missed the top ten only  once (11th).  I'm hoping
that the K3 will allow me to continue that record,  but I'm just not that
confident about it.

Paul, K5AF

In a message dated 5/14/2008 11:02:59 A.M. Central Daylight Time,