Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 tuned input

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 tuned input
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@doctorgary.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 00:23:59 -0500
On 19 Nov 2008 at 21:08, Jim Brown K9YC wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:36:53 -0500, Gary Smith wrote:
>
> >Any easy way of adjusting the tuned input of my 425? My Omni shows a
> >1:2 swr on 80M when running the amp. With the amp in standby as the
> >well as off, the Omni shows a 1:1 to the antenna. The SWR meter on
> >the Titan shows 1:1 under power.
>
> >So it seems as if the 80M input might need to be polished up a bit.
>
> >Suggestions?
>
> Yes. Don't worry about it. My three Titan 425s drive to full power
> with 50 watts, and any modern 100W transceiver is reasonably happy
> with a 2:1 match at that power level. I typically drive them with 30
> watts and get 1200 watts out. If you need more than 50 watts to get
> legal power the tubes are probably shot (or your wattmeter is broke).
> :)
>
> 73,
>
> Jim K9YC

Jim,

according to the 425 30 W drive gets me 900W out I have an extra pair
of tubes that were tested as full output and I've seen no difference
between the two pairs so I'm guessing on this amp 30W in = 900W out.

I have no Bird or better so watts out is something I can't
definitively ascertain with what I have.

The output is nothing like my 77SX rendered but well, that's a
different amp.

Gary
KA1J