Re: [TenTec] CW Skimmer

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] CW Skimmer
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:07:52 -0800
You can read a lot about the program doing a Google search, but there's
nothing like a live demonstration, which I saw from N6TV at our local club
last week.  When implemented with an SDR, CW Skimmer can almost instantly
scan 100 kHz of spectrum, then decode and display every single audible CW
station (up to 800 signals!), show each call sign and indicate if it's
CQing, QRZing, etc.  By communicating with your contest software and your
rig, stations you need are highlighted and potential multipliers are clearly
indicated.  Then you just click on the callsign, your radio tunes there, and
you make the QSO!  Thus, 'search and pounce' becomes as productive as
'running'.

It goes without saying that this is highly controversial, but none-the-less,
it does represent the state of the art in DSP, SDR, digital interfacing and
other high-tech aspects of our hobby that we should be familiar with.  I
can't say at this point if its "fair" to use CW Skimmer in contests, but
yesterday I ordered a Perseus SDR receiver from Martin Lynch & Sons in
England since I want to pursue this amazing technology.

         Ron  N6IE
      www.N6IE.com