Re: [TenTec] Antenna question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Antenna question
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 10:43:19 -0600
On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 00:03 -0500, Phil Sussman wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> Thanks for the help. I have a guy with a rig on the 2nd floor using home made
> ladder line consisting of #12 wire spaced a 4in. Feedline runs perhaps 10 ft
> before it splits off (corner fed) into the loop.
>
> No balun at all. Fed right off the ladder line. I suspect the length of the
> loop may have to be adjusted. Short of hanging line out of a second floor
> window, I don't have a clue how to add more feed line.

QST last month or two showed wrapping excess line around an air cored
assemble. Just put the turns side by side. I'm sure the coupling turn to
turn has some effect, but the whole purpose is to move the impedance to
one the tuner will accept. Which might be a hint that a different tuner
circuit will handle the problem. Or adding series or shunt reactance to
the inside end of the feed line. Its nice to keep additions to the feed
symmetrical, so if you add a coil to one side, put the same sized coil
on the other side at the same place in the line.

Not all tuners will tune all antennas and feeds. Sometimes it takes
modification of the feedline, antenna, or the tuner to get a match. But
some tuner will feed it without feedline or antenna modification.

> 73 de Phil - N8PS

73, Jerry, K0CQ