Re: [TenTec] Ham Radio Deluxe

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ham Radio Deluxe
From: Ed <w3nr@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 12:47:26 -0500
Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:

> Ordinary communications software is much happier if on the 25 pin
> computer end that pin 4 is connected to 5 (RTS/CTS hardware handshake),

TT does not use rts/cts....you might be thinking of Kenwood that does.

> Then I've read on this forum that OMNI V or VI had a problem with
> whether they were connected as a Data Set or a Data Terminal. If a Data
> Set the cable is straight, if Data Terminal the cable signal wires have
> to be crossed, e.g. null modem cable. I've also read that one of these
> OMNI is easily corrected to Data Set connections by inverting an
> internal connector.

The Omni5 requires a null cable.

The Omni6 requires a straight through cable.

Pins 2-3-5-7 are all that are needed.

The baud rate is not dependent on the serial port. It is determined
between the radio and the rig control software.

You guys are making this much harder than it really is.

This is all discussed and thoroughly explained in both manuals.

If you own an Omni5 you will need a N4PY chip.

Ed W3NR