Re: [TenTec] RF Ground

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Ground
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 22:05:03 -0700
Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
> Several  points:
>
> (c)  I did mention that ground wires or conductors can radiate or receive

Yes, you did, absolutely correct. I agree completely. I was keying in on
the RF Ground idea and forgot to reinforce your many excellent comments.
Sorry, Bob. My bad.
> (d) I've worked in professional audio for most of my life and dealing with
> both balanced and unbalanced systems.   I don't have a clue about "pin 1"
> problems as I've never encountered it.  I figure it is like RF ground,
> likely a factor that doesn't exist in science
The "pin 1 problem" is a mis-termination of a cable shield, so-named
because first addressed in the pro audio world, and pin 1 is the
designated shield contact for XLR connectors, the dominant connector in
that world. . Lots of tutorial material on my website.
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish  It was first published by Neil
Muncy, ex-W3WJE, who now lives near Toronto.

Pin 1 problems are the major cause of RFI in modern equipment of all
sorts, including ham gear. Once you see the tutorial material, you'll
say -- oh, yeah, of course it's dumb to do it that way!

73,

Jim Brown K9YC