Re: [TenTec] High speed washer hum/whine

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] High speed washer hum/whine
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 20:56:24 -0500
> And, since were talking about electrical panels and washing machines,
> NEC states that the laundry must have a dedicated circuit for the
> washing machine, with it's own dedicated neutral and ground wire all the
> way back to the load center panel and dedicated breaker for that
> circuit. Sorry, my copy of NEC is at work, so I can't quote the section.

Article 210.11(c)(2) requires a residential laundry room to have a dedicated
20A branch circuit feeding exactly one receptacle. No mention is made of a
mandatory dryer outlet.  Some folks would rather dry their sheets in the
wind.

Back to a bit more on-topic discussion -- If pulling a new branch circuit
into your shack for amp service, make an effort to pull 4-wire cabling if
you even think of using some of the older amps.  My two Alphas have been
modified to run 4-wire service since the blowers run on 120VAC and, neutral
and ground are bonded together (incorrectly) at the Cinch-Jones power
connector.  The fix for these amps is easy:  Just one jumper cut on the CJ
connector.  Neutral and ground then have their own separate conductor from
the serving panel.  For these amps, I didn't even have to take a screwdriver
to the cabinet for the modification.

Manufacturers did stuff like bonding neutral with ground back in the '60s
and '70s and nobody seemed to care.  Some folks still don't get the concept
when you tell them that the two conductors are routed back to the same
potential at the panel.

Paul, W9AC