Re: [TenTec] Buying on EBay

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Buying on EBay
From: d.e.warnick@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 23:34:27 +0000 (UTC)

As for PayPal, it is very convenient and works well

Now about buying on eBay. You have no more idea about the rig you are buying
than any other one you don't see. qth.com and the other sites are no different.
You can e-mail and converse with the seller on either.

The biggest difference I see on eBay is the often inflated prices. It is up to
the buyer to know the value of the item he/she is bidding on. I saw a TenTec
filter go for $140 plus in the last month. They are available on this reflector
and all the other sites for $65 to $70 shipped. I also have seen used items
sell for more than I have paid new from a dealer. Here are some steps to
follow:

1) Research the item you are buying

     a) Read e-ham reports

     b) check manufacturers web sites

     c) use google to look up the item and prices new or used

     d) talk to others who know and use the model you are looking at

2) Set your maximum bid long before bidding time

     a) If you have done your homework, you will have set a good price

3) DO NOT bid more than your maximum.

     a) Another of the item or a similar one will come up later. If you
overpay, it is your own fault and you have set a false value for others to
follow

As for getting burned on eBay:

Yes I have been burned by unscrupulous liars who misrepresented what they were
selling (it has happened on other sites and at hamfests also). I have bought a
lot more good, well-represented items by a huge margin than I have been burned.
Check the sellers satisfaction rating. Insist on photos. Look at return policy.

Yep, I'll still bid on e-Bay. As for PayPal, once you've used it, you'll love
it

Just my thoughts. I still buy and sell on eBay (only occasionally). I also love
hamfests and the other sites

Dave

WA3MKB