Re: [TenTec] OMNI VII vs. K3 ? Opinions invited.

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VII vs. K3 ? Opinions invited.
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:57:20 -0500
Now that was an interesting reply.

The peer pressure I am talking about is from a group of peers who sometimes
win major contests.
I've been a ham for 48 years, owned a lot of stuff, and long since learned
not to go with the flow.
Hey, otherwise we wouldn't have Ten-Tec, would we?

Indeed ergonomics is important, but so is the ultimate RX performance.
The band conditions in Europe, where I will be using it the most, are a bit
harsher than here.
I had to have a preselector on the Omni VII to get it to perform well.
You don't need it on the Orion and presumably K3.
Now it has gotten a bit better since the broadcast stations moved out of the
40m band
How much better?

I ran the K2 in many contests and really did not have a problem with the
radio.
As someone pointed out, although the menu is cumbersome, most stuff is set
only once.
After that it is just VFO, volume, and band selector.

I ran a CQWW CW contest once with an Orion and the external VFO knob next to
the keyboard.
I almost never touched the Orion, the entire contest.
Band change was via Keyboard.

Ergonomics is important but it isn't everything.

What I have learned from all of this is that both are good radios.
Their owners love them.
I don't know if there really is a winner.
They are just two different radios.
It's not like comparing an FT-1000 to an Orion, where all you need is your
ears.

Trouble is, I can't say that I am farther than I was when I opened this
thread.
I guess I'll just flip a coin (hi).

Thanks to everyone who offered input, both on reflector and off.

73
Rick