Re: [TenTec] wither CW?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] wither CW?
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 15:00:08 -0400
Hi Rick ---  You make good points.   Of course, it is what it is, and I
accept it.   And yet, I sometimes muse philosophically or idealistically
about how I would make it if I could.

And you are dead right about cheaters.  Always was and always will be
the case, I think.

I am not trying to start a war over it... and all I mean to say is that
I think there is something more pure, idealistic or exalted if the
contestant actually pounds brass, instead of using a memory keyer.
That is REAL CW...

And of course the real contestants ARE doing CW LISTENING in their
heads.   Cannot really substitute that part.   So at least half the game
is still pure and exalted in this way.

In the 160 meter SSB contest last Winter, we could have used a voice
keyer that is part of the software logging program, but we chose to do
it the old fashioned way - and called CQ and did the exchanges with our
own voices.
(One of our team is originally from Germany, and his voice sounds like
DX to other stations... so it is kind of a secret weapon to use his
actual voice...)

Sometimes I got a contact because I got silly in my calling, and some
operators who were not participating int he contest came back to me
solely because of it.   Actually,  it all started because I got lonely
pulling the 6 hour night shift from 3 AM to 9 AM  and contacts were
rather scarce.    So I got silly thinking no one was listening anyway
... but some operators called back just because they figured anyone that
desperate for a call might be a fun QSO.   I picked up a lot of contacts
that way  while the rest of the team was sleeping.   I had more fun then
than during the hot times of quick pounce and run type contacts.   I
will take the night shift any time.   The DX stations I contacted were
especially fun, because they took a few moments to actually talk to me.

I think we are still 4th in the overall standings... and I had fun...
maybe got
hooked on contesting - even though I lament the automation that others
use.  But I recognize I cannot fight city hall on this, and only mention
it in passing for what it might be worth.   But if no one speaks up
ever... well.. you know the drill.

Happy trails    -- good reply.