Re: [TenTec] Omni V power limits

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni V power limits
From: "CSM\(r\) Gary Huber" <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 15:50:59 -0500
Even if you have a clean, low distortion signal, while using an amplifier,
you need to keep the output to 50W or so to avoid causing AGC compression in
the receivers of the other stations  in the PSK-31 sub-band. Don't forget
that in PSK-31, many stations are simultaneously using a single 2500 Hz SSB
bandwidth with a recommended output of 30W.  When there are QRO signals in
the waterfall, the receiver AGC typically causes the weaker signals to be
less likely to be decoded as their audio will be reduced..... its fairly
easy to figure out which signal in the waterfall is causing the other
signals to be compressed but its difficult to politely convey to the
perpetrator the damage being caused. Few DX-peditions want to offer PSK-31
contacts for the very reason that many operators will not abide by the
self-imposed low power necessary to share a PSK-31 sub-band.