Re: [TenTec] [Fwd: Line Isolator Balun (sorta) question.] Sorta OT philo

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [Fwd: Line Isolator Balun (sorta) question.] Sorta OT philosophy, or where does it get us?
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:13:45 -0500
Yes, I agree interference to poorly set up audio equipment has replaced
TVI as a ham's concern.  If they have something that can get enough RF
and act like a diode, you can come in on the neighbor's stereo.
Of course, now if you are on Sideband, they will hear Donald Duck and
distortion, and likely not recognize you.  But, they may eventually make
the connection.  Digital modes can create problems but may conceal the
origin.

Some of the problems with audio on the neighbor's side can be poorly
shielded audio cables.  Some RCA cables are more like two conductor
cables rather than an enclosing shield.  The audio owner of course will
not understand that fine point and blame you if he knows you are a ham.
I really feel for hams living in apartments, where the only solution
might be to operate QRP to avoid interference from too close neighbors
and bad or no part 15 compliance.

-Stuart Rohre