Re: [TenTec] Auto Tuners

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Auto Tuners
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 19:59:51 -0500
Check their specifications. I think they insist on tuning at low power
to preserve the lives of the tiny relays they use. That they can carry
but not switch 100 watts. And then tuning with a couple watts, cuts
transmitted QRM compared to tuning with 100 watts.

The two manuals I just checked talk about rig protection rather than
tuner protection but I think the tuner is destructible too.

TT rigs don't fold back when mismatched unless the PA collector current
trips the circuit breaker or the current limit in the power supply.

Since the automatic tuners will tune with 0.1 watt, why make QRM, why
not cut the power way back for tuning?

73, Jerry, K0CQ