Re: [TenTec] Auto Tuners

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Auto Tuners
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 08:32:28 -0500
Roger,

The Model 238 will match just about anything on the planet, especially if
you take advantage of its ability to add external capacitance on the back
panel.
I have had several 238,s and will always keep one as my "no matter what"
tuner.

I also have the LDG AT-1000 which is the big brother of the AT-100.
Mine is not the Pro version.

It sure is convenient to simply push a button and the antenna's match is
tuned automatically.
The disadvantage is, it does not have the broad impedance matching range of
the 238.
I believe it matches up to about 1600 Ohms.

This is great for matching antennas that "should be 50 ohms" but aren't.
Using an external Balun, either 1:1 or 4:1, it will work with most
openwire-fed antennas and match them on several bands; but probably never
manage a good match all bands unless you vary the length of the feedline for
different bands.

Earlier this year in QST there was a great article on how to build a low
cost, but efficient 4:1 Balun out of PVC pipe and coax or even just wire if
you only need 100w.  These are perfect for the job.
For the BEST 1:1 balun, just ask Bob, K4TAX to describe his Monster Balun to
you.

If you are willing the prune the length of your wire antenna, or play with
the feedline length, and bring its impedance within the matching range of
the AT-100PRO, it would certainly be the preferred solution; albeit limited
to barefoot operations.

If you want to match everything you encounter and may also want to step up
to higher power, nothing beats the Model 238.

73
Rick