[TenTec] Orion and Heil Proset QuietPhone Solution

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion and Heil Proset QuietPhone Solution
From: AL7CR <al7cr@punakea.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:55:06 -0700
Thank you to the many folks who responded with suggestions concerning this
problem.

As several of you noted the basic problem is that the Heil Headset has 220 ohm
speakers and the Orion headset jack is rated to drive 16 to 32 ohm impedance
headsets.  This was easily confirmed by connecting the Sennheiser headphones I
use with my stereo receiver to the Orion.  These use 60 ohm speakers and the
Orion could drive them easily to painfully high audio levels.

The most elegant solution (other than a new headset which I seriously
considered) is to construct an impedance transformer to match the Heil unit to
the Orion output.  The required transformers are around $12 each from Mouser
plus the cost of connectors, project box, cable, and time.  What I chose to do
instead was to purchase a $50 headphone amplifier from the local musician
supply store.

The inexpensive headphone amps sold for use with portable music players get
very poor reviews for audio quality, gain, and quality of construction.  I
purchased a Livewire HA04 which received universally high marks in all these
areas.  It is a small box and provides four individually adjustable amplified
outputs of which I only use one.  It provides 1/4" stereo jacks for the input
and output and runs on 12 v external power.  I discovered that the local music
supplier is also a great source of inexpensive audio cables particularly those
with  1/4" mono and stereo plugs.

The amp works perfectly and I am now able to hear the weak ones with my Heil
Proset albeit at the cost of having yet another 12v interface box in the shack.

AL7CR