Re: [TenTec] What Model Ten-Tec Rig Do I Need ?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] What Model Ten-Tec Rig Do I Need ?
From: "David W LeJeune, Sr" <lejeuned@centurytel.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 17:52:21 -0500
I'm late getting into this conversation....I'm primarily a CW op, but no
contesting - just heavy rag chewing and DX chasing.  Until recently, my
primary rig was an Orion II. Prior to that it was a Jupitor, and prior to
that an Omni VI+.  Still have the Orion, but with the release of PowerSDR
ver 2.0.8 and better knowledge on how to fine tune the buffers (sampling
rate, buffer size, etc), my Flex 5000A is now my rig of choice.   I use an
external keyboard program (CWType) cause at my age (72) it's easier to type
and send readable CW than to use the paddle or bug.  Still receive between
the ears.

I usually rag chew at about 20 - 25wpm.  The Flex 5K as presently set up at
that rate has good QSK and I get excellent reports on the keying.  I've
gotten up to 30wpm - not comfortable for me on receive, but still no
problems with QSK. But the real reason I prefer it is the point and click
tuning with the mouse with PowerSDR, with fine tuning with the mouse wheel.
Never thought I'd give up the Tuning Knob. In fact, I've gotten so addicted
to point and click tuning, until I loaded the new PowerSDR software, I was
using a little SW application that sync'd PowerSDR and the Flex5k to my
Orion II.  Used the Orion II for receiving and transmitting, but tuned with
PowerSDR (which tuned both the Flex and the Orion via the CAT interface).
Kinda expensive for a panadapter, but worked. YMMV.  Not sure if this
translates to the Flex 3000 or the Flex 1500.

Dave WN5V