Re: [TenTec] (no subject)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] (no subject)
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 10:10:44 -0600
When you KNOW you have a low impedance antenna at low frequency you can
improve life for the tuner by adding a transformer. Not a balun, a
conventional ferrite cored transformer. There have been such designs in
QST and ARRL Handbooks for feeding short verticals on 80 and 160. At
least 20 years ago, maybe longer. Though the conventional 1:4 balun
operated with the high impedance side to the tuner and the low impedance
side to the antenna can be a benefit operated as a unun which may
require unhooking the ground from the center tap of the high impedance side.

Or if its the usual case causing a low impedance, a short vertical with
no loading coil, you can raise the feed impedance by adding a loading
coil, not making the tuner be the loading coil too.

Without digging out a design, I'd suggest a start for a ferrite
transformer would involve a F200 core, with 12 to 15 turns on the
primary and a 5 turn secondary tapped every turn. Pick the connections
that give the lowest SWR without the tuner.

Or a loading coil that resonates the short antenna which still make end
up with a low resistance but cuts the reactance problem which is part of
the problem that fries a tuner, and then add the ferrite cored
transformer which was the emphasis on those short verticals in QST.

73, Jerry, K0CQ