Re: [TenTec] TenTec 1254 ---THANKS

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec 1254 ---THANKS
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 23:27:48 -0600
My FT-857 manual says .55 amp receive squelched and 1 amp receive. There
is a 5th pin on the power connector that when grounded cuts the power to
20 watts through 2m and 10 watts on 432, I think that's shared with the
897 that has a bigger case with room for a battery. There's no
indication in the op manual that the battery sense pin (that 5th pin)
affects receiver current consumption or PA idle current. I know that the
RF power output can be reduced way below the factory settings by
lowering the TX gain in the alignment menu. I did that to an 857 that I
use for 10 G transverter service and now while the display says it
varies from 5 to 50 watts, it actually puts out 2 watts on 2m.

I've run 25 watts RF to an 8 foot whip through a manual tuner on 40, 20,
15 and 10 meters for FD with very good results on CW and SSB. I found I
had to tune more often on SSB when working my way up a band than on CW,
probably because 25 watts was plenty power for CW and there was more QRM
on SSB. That whip was mounted on the roof of my all metal Airstream, so
it had a really good ground plane though only about 8' wide by 15 feet
long (a little Airstream).

Back before FCC rules prohibiting a 3 watt input HF amp, Tentec made
one, maybe called the 509?, that would be a fine accessory to an FT-817
though a nearby club has run up a serious score the last two or three FD
with a barefoot FT-817. They do take care to use effective antennas.

Another FT-817 user finds his works fine on battery with a random wire
backpacked into a western mountain camp. He makes contacts, like mostly
CW, not necessarily on a prescribed circuit, but at random.

73, Jerry, K0CQ