Re: [TenTec] Airpax Breaker Part and Source

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Airpax Breaker Part and Source
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 13:05:30 -0500
Well, what prompted this discussion was the fact that I zapped the
finals in my Century 22. It was a series of errors. I had left the drive
set to full power; band was set to 10 MHz, but autotuner was set to 3.5
MHz. I accidentally hit the keyer paddle and let loose 3 or 4 dits,
which was enough to kill the finals. The Ten-Tec 979 power supply did
not trip, probably because a previous owner had used it with a different
radio and had readjusted the over-current trip point. I hadn't bothered
to check it.

While waiting for new finals ( a matched pair from RF Parts Co.) I
readjusted  the  power supply.  I would like to operate the rig on
battery, so I'm looking for a circuit breaker to but in the 13V line,
hence the inquiry to Poco Sales.  I have the Airpax spec sheets.  The
"instant trip" will trip at 150% of rated load in 100 ms. The fast trip
will trip at 135% of rated load anywhere between 200 ms and about 8
seconds.  The slow trip can take as long as a minute to trip.

Older Ten-Tec equipment did not have ALC protection, so they depended on
the power supply or circuit breaker to protect the finals. Ten-Tec
therefore chose the instant trip breakers, which are pretty scarce these
days.

The question is, how fast does a fuse or circuit breaker have to be to
protect the final transistors?  It may be better to build an outboard
circuit that duplicates the over-current circuit inside the Ten-Tec
power supplies.  I've tripped the power supply for my Corsair many times
without damage.

I will be more careful with the Century 22, as follows:  Keep the drive
at zero, unless planning to transmit. Switch from an auto tuner to a
manual one where I can record and physically see the presets for a given
band.  Use a fast acting circuit breaker when not using the Ten-Tec
power supply.

                         73,

                         Bob WB2VUF