Re: [TenTec] Airpax Breaker Part and Source

To: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Airpax Breaker Part and Source
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 20:21:40 -0600
Almost sure to use audio taper for audio gain. You can emulate an audio
taper with a linear taper pot by adding a resistor from wiper to ground.
Usually about the same resistance as the pot resistance gives a decent
taper.

Unless the pot was assembled from parts for the factory job, it won't
come apart easily to replace only the switch. Probably the power supply
needs a power relay so the switch has less current to handle, like some
Collins power supplies are being modified.

The Corsair front panel has to come to get to most anything on the front
because pots are mounted to the chassis and then a second nut helps hold
the front panel.

Most every significant pot maker had modular parts like the Centralab
you remember. IRC for sure, I could dig back in some catalogs and find
more but it won't help us find parts today.

Any switch that would fit on a pot won't survive carrying the 12 volt
current though a few have tried that.

73, Jerry, K0CQ