Re: [TenTec] Airpax Breaker Part and Source

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Airpax Breaker Part and Source
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 20:51:57 -0600
 From the 1140 Tentec wiki page:

> The 1140 is no longer available from Ten-Tec. Ten-Tec recommends an Airpax
> T-11 20 amp fast acting breaker (Data Sheet) available from Wards Electronics
> in Florida, (800) 545-9273. Airpax part number is T11-1-20.0A-01-10A-V
>
> Additional Information from the Ten-Tec Reflector July 7, 2000
>
> Those breakers were made for Ten-Tec by Airpax. Airpax still makes dozens of
> breakers…….. the series mfg for Ten-Tec is the Snapak model magnetic breaker.
>
> Airpax breaker part number should be:
>
> T11-1-(required amperage 3 places)-01-10A-V
>
> example: T11-1-5.00A-01-10A-V
>
>     *
>       T11 = Paddle Handle, Single Pole, Series Breaker
>     *
>       1 = "fast" trip (0 =instant and 2 = slow…… 2 is too slow 0 would work
> fine too)
>     *
>       5.00A = 5 amp
>     *
>       01 = Paddle Handle is Black
>     *
>       10A = Black Knurled Mounting Nut
>     *
>       V = Vertical Mount
>
> Enter in the original amperage of the breaker you are looking for and this
> number should be close if not right on to the original…… Ten-Tec's Paul
> Clinton told me awhile ago that either the fast or instant breaker would work
> fine….. I've seen the breakers they sold for the Triton IV and some were fast
> and some were instant anyway.

Be on the look out for variations on this breaker for different colors,
mounts, shapes of the operating handle, package, and nuts and with
auxiliary contacts. These variations may be more available than the
Tentec specific breaker but still have the rapid operation needed for
the Tentec radios.

If a 15 amp fuse in my Corsair replaces a 20 amp breaker, I'd want
something smaller than a 5 amp fuse to replace a 5 amp breaker, like a
3.75 amp. I'm not sure a 5 amp fuse will blow fast enough. Unfortunately
the available selections are 3 or 4 amps in the fast fuses like the ATC
that I am using and have studied the curves for. I'd try 3 amp and if it
blows too often reluctantly go to a 4 amp.

73, Jerry, K0CQ