Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 19:43:08 -0500
WHOA... RICK...  You understand my position exactly.

> I understand your concerns and it sounds like the aluminum is
> under-dimensioned.

                Exactly.   Darn it...    At least the 6 and 10 meter
                versions turned out well.   It is just that the 20 meter
                version is, as you say, under-dimensioned.

> I also understand the wish to use what you have, but that might actually be
> a bad idea, depending on what you want to build.

                I am sure you are correct...  I just hate giving up
                on it as I have the tubing now.   But it is just too
                wobbly and flexible in the wind.    I just need to
                realize it and move on.

> For me, the only logical choice of material is a telescoping fiberglass pole
> and copper wire for the radiator.

                I agree.   OR  I need beefier tubing and a stronger
                element-to-mast plate.

> They are light weight and because they taper, they are not so conspicuous
> when viewed from a bit farther away.

                I now employ two such fiberglass poles to support
                a medium aperture receive-only Wellbrook loop antenna.
                They have held up well in the winter snow, ice and wind.

  > Funny, I thought I was being specific with my rating of the 3 antennas.
> "It's horses for courses."        Depends on what you want to do.
>
> The first choice is, should it be monoband or multiband?

                Yes.   Monoband.

                I already have a 43 foot aluminum multiband monopole
                with 65 radials.   Works rather well, actually, considering
                all the inherent compromises.

> If multiband, I personally would only run with a VD.  I hate traps (break,
> lossy, collect water) and I am to lazy to put a lot of radials down.

                Agreed on all objections.

> If monoband, anything will work, as long as it is built well, following the
> multitude of excellent tips we have read on this thread.

                Yes...   It boils down to this -- I must either beef up
                the aluminum so it is "stiffer" and does not wobble or
                vibrate so much in the wind....or ... opt for a
                lighter-weight support material (such as fiberglass)
                that holds up well to ice, wind and summer heat.
                The fiberglass may be the right tool for the job.
                It would certainly be lighter and would probably
                stand up to the wind without wobbling as much
                as the aluminum tubing.

                Thus... while I develop a fiberglass version of my
                20 meter vertical dipole or ground plane... I should
                stick up the 6 and 10 alum. dipoles I now have (which
                are plenty study and tune to 1:1 with ease...)  and
                maybe string up the 40-6 OCF dipole I have built,
                and continue developing the 20 meter antenna design.

> On the one hand, I hate to have to tune a matchbox, and my shortened VD will
> always require a matchbox.

                My goal with the 20 meter VD or ground plane is to
                finally have a really robust, study 20 meter antenna
                that does not require a tuner/transmatch.  I believe
                it will be way more efficient than my big stick vertical
                monopole.

> I purchased a 1000 Watt Palstar automatic tuner, but haven't tried it yet.
> Maybe that's the solution I've been looking for.

                I have one of those now!   Palstar AT-AUTO, as well as
                the Palstar AT2K --- they work swell.   The AT-AUTO
                is a breeze to use.   I think you will like it.

> There's so many antennas I d like to try.... and the wife never lets me put
> up more than 3 (preferably 2) except for a few days for a contest weekend,
> when I put up 5 or 6 more!  :-)

                Perhaps, you could try a different wife...    ;-)

THANKS for the specific reply  - right on track.