Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)

To: "'N4PY2'" <n4py2@earthlink.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 11:14:27 -0500
Carl, although you statement is perfectly correct, it can mislead one to
believe that the vertical dipole depends "as much" on the ground as the
quarter wave vertical does, and that is way way wrong.

The normal vertical MUST have a good ground in the form of radials and the
vertical dipole must not.
However, the earth below it affects both antennas.

Lay down 100 radials for a normal vertical and you will see a radical
improvement of performance.
That same radial farm under your vertical dipole will help but the
difference is nowhere near so great.

73
Rick