Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 16:16:18 -0500
James, that is a tough call because it is not really apples to apples.

A specific answer to your question, as compared to "my" vertical dipole,
then I must say I believe the raised quarter wave vertical with 4 elevated
radials, say about 10' off the ground will be the better antenna; but the
difference will be very little.  I don't believe it would be more than 3dB,
and if anything, less difference.

If we were to take a full size vertical dipole, it would be 66' high, plus
allowing for a couple of ft. raised off the ground, you need nearly 70 ft.
This is very impractical.  But then as I understand it, it would be slightly
better than the raised quarter wave with 4 elevated radials.

So my ranking:

1. Vertical dipole, full size, raised 4', total 70' height
2. Quarter wave vertical, raised 10', total 43' height
3. Vertical dipole (2x 20') raised 4' off the ground, total 44'

BUT...

#1 is expensive to implement and darn high.  A 60' Spiderbeam fiberglass
pole costs $300 and would have to be extended.

#2 also needs 66' total of horizontal space (33' in 4 directions) at a
height of 10'.  You will have to come up with 4 elevated tie points (trees,
house, mast, something).

#3 needs only a 40' pole (Spiderbeam: $120), plus 2x army surplus fiberglass
poles ($10) and a T-Post (fence post, $5). The mast is $135 altogether.

And the performance difference of the three, in my humble and totally
unqualified opinion, would be about like the difference between a K3, an
Orion 2, and an Eagle.

ONCE AGAIN I have to stress that I usually operated portable and options 1
and 2 would almost never have been feasible.

For my portable VD, I used the feedline as a guy wire in one direction, and
then 2x 30' pieces of thin Dacron of Kevlar rope countering it.  That keeps
the antenna straight and stable (assuming a good quality heavy duty
telescoping pole, such as the Spiderbeam poles).

Bottom Line:
 - For home use, I would favor option 2 (4 raised radials) if I had the
room.
 - For portable use or installations with tight floor space, I would favor
option 3 (shortened VD)

73
Rick