Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 13:04:58 -0500
James,

I understand your concerns and it sounds like the aluminum is
under-dimensioned.
I also understand the wish to use what you have, but that might actually be
a bad idea, depending on what you want to build.

For me, the only logical choice of material is a telescoping fiberglass pole
and copper wire for the radiator.
They are light weight and because they taper, they are not so conspicuous
when viewed from a bit farther away.
Also, they don't often break and when they do, it's usually only one section
and you can replace the individual sections for just a few bucks.

In an ice storm 2 years ago, I had a tree fall over, into my 60 ft.
fiberglass pole.
It wiped out the pole, of course, but only 2 sections broke and it cost me
just $30 to repair it.

Funny, I thought I was being specific with my rating of the 3 antennas.
"It's horses for courses."
Depends on what you want to do.

The first choice is, should it be monoband or multiband?
If multiband, I personally would only run with a VD.  I hate traps (break,
lossy, collect water) and I am to lazy to put a lot of radials down.

If monoband, anything will work, as long as it is built well, following the
multitude of excellent tips we have read on this thread.

On the one hand, I hate to have to tune a matchbox, and my shortened VD will
always require a matchbox.
I purchased a 1000 Watt Palstar automatic tuner, but haven't tried it yet.
Maybe that's the solution I've been looking for.

On the other hand, 95% of my operation is on 40.
My last two years in Germany (2006/07), the only antenna I had up
permanently was my One-Armed-Bandit; the 40m with one single radial bent
back on itself.
It probably was not quite as good as any of the three antennas we discussed
yesterday, but it was close enough, broad banded, didn't need a tuner, etc.
Something for a lazy guy like me.

There's so many antennas I d like to try.... and the wife never lets me put
up more than 3 (preferably 2) except for a few days for a contest weekend,
when I put up 5 or 6 more!  :-)

73
Rick