Re: [TenTec] O3 wish list

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] O3 wish list
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 09:17:52 -0400
> Yes, but aren't many folks going to need a computer upgrade to
> efficiently run PowerSDR if they have older single core cpu's?

That's why I like the SDR-IQ approach for a panadapter as it handles the
bulk of processing.  CPU utilization with SpectraVue is very small in
relation to PowerSDR/IF.  So low, that I can use the SpectraVue with an
ATOM-based CPU in a netbook PC.  I could not run PowerSDR/IF on my Samsung
netbook.  A small netbook with the tiny SDR-IQ makes for a nice portable
package that does not eat up significant battery time on my netbook.

Floyd is right again about SDR-IQ being somewhat deaf on the high bands and
may not be the best option for folks who want to split the receive RF from
receivers that provide no IF port (e.g., Omni VII).   But when sampling an
IF port, SDR-IQ is only working at 8-9 MHz where it's still very sensitive
and the noise figure of the IF port is held low as sampling occurs after the
first mixer.

Paul, W9AC