Re: [TenTec] Orion III

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion III
From: "Tony Lelieveld" <va3dwi@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 09:23:58 -0400
Hi all,

As the originator of this NR thread, I am not surprised by all the various
reactions.  One more comment on my part is that just recently a friend of
mine who is new on HF had much difficulty copying signals due to heavy QRM
and QRN on a Yaesu FT-950.  We enabled the NR and the SSB signals popped
right out of the speaker with very little noise and 100% copy.  So... don't
tell me that it's not possible.  If some of you don't care whether the rig
has NR or not and you can live without it so be it.

On an expensive rig like the OII, I expect this feature to work at least as
good or better then other radios.  I wasn't born yesterday and I am fully
aware of the tricks with RF gain etc. and NO I don't expect S9+20 dB signals
all the time.  I have had my OII now for 4 years and I am quite happy with
it but I think that TenTec should get working on the NR to take the induced
distortion out of the recovered audio.  After all, one of the main reasons I
got this rig is for its soft and firmware upgradability.  How many upgrades
did we get since the OII's inception?  If this capability is not utilized on
a regular basis what's the point of having it.  Don't send flames my way.  I
too am just expressing my opinion.

73, Tony VE3DWI / K8DWI.