Re: [TenTec] What Radio?

To: k9yc@arrl.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] What Radio?
From: Rsoifer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:57:19 -0400 (EDT)
Jim,

Yes, a scope can monitor a range of frequencies at the same  time.  The ear
can't.  Actually, I use the Orion II sweep  display  (v2.044a, set to 36
kHz)  to do functions 1-3.  It won't  identify the station being worked the
way Skimmer can, but it does show me  the power density of the pileup as a
function of frequency.

I'm not a serious contester but I am serious about DXing.  I also work  6
meter CW during Es season, with a 1208 transverter.

73 Ray W2RS

In a message dated 8/30/2011 10:09:50 P.M. GMT Standard Time,
k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com writes:

On  8/30/2011 1:58 PM, Rsoifer@aol.com wrote:
>   the eye is going  to see CW signals that the ear  cannot
> detect.  This is  especially true in the presence of QRM.

That's NOT the function of a  spectrum display. Some of the ways I use my
P3 include:

1) Helping  me figure out where the DX station is listening in a pileup

2) Helping  me find a clear spot in a busy band (mostly during a contest,
but could be  at any time a band is crowded).

3) Help me see activity on a "dead  band" that isn't as dead as it
looks.  For example, last Saturday  evening I had the rig on 6M, with the
P3 set to look from 50.070 to  50.270. I'm looking for CW signals from
about 50.085 to 50.100, SSB  signals above 50.125, and WSJT signals
around 50.260.  Band seemed  dead as a doornail, but then I noticed a
pretty good SSB signal that  turned out to be a guy 200 miles away in a
grid that I needed (near Lake  Tahoe) and that was ordinarily very hard
for me to work.  I listened  a while through a long QSO, then called and
made the contact.   Without the P3, I would never have known the guy was
there unless I had  been continuously tuning up and down looking for
action. You can do that  for hours at a time, but I've got better things
to do. :)

4) Help  be identify noise sources as being power line noise or generated
by  electronic sources like battery chargers, switching power supplies,
etc.  BIG difference in how we need to chase them down and get them  fixed.

5) Allow me to document to another ham when his signal is much  broader
than other signals by saving a scope trace and sending it to  him.
Hopefully this can get him to take my complaint more seriously  and fix
his crummy rig. :)

Yes, you can have lots of fun in ham  radio without a spectrum display,
and  I did for my first 55 years in  ham radio. But I'm really glad I
bought my P3s.

73, Jim  K9YC