Re: [TenTec] Re. [Ten Tec] Grounds and balanced fed verticals

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re. [Ten Tec] Grounds and balanced fed verticals
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 19:41:08 +0000
Jim,

What "bugs" me most about this issue is that it isn't Rocket Science -
simple application of Ohm's Law will give you the answers.

Take the figures for Wireman 553 ladderline which has #18 conductors:
100ft of #18 copper wire has an RF resistance of  8.59 Ohms at 10MHz
If a current of 1A flows into 100ft of that ladderline, the power loss
will be 8.59W in each wire - a total of 17.18W
Because the surge impedance of 553 ladderline is about 400 Ohms, the
applied power must be 400W to drive the 1A current

So, 400W applied and 17.18W copper losses gives us a matched loss of at
least 0.19dB; that's about 2.4 times the Antenna Book figure of 0.08dB.
It's a much bigger error than can be explained by any "rounding".

Some may think that's an insignificant difference and that we are
"nit-picking"; but now imagine you are running a long length of that
ladderline at high VSWR based on an Antenna Book loss prediction of 2dB
- would you be happy if you discovered that the real loss was at least
4.8dB? Or that what you thought was a 4dB loss was actually nearer 10dB?

73,
Steve G3TXQ