Re: [TenTec] Using an Argosy in the field

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Using an Argosy in the field
From: John <jh.graves@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 12:09:12 -0400
Rick,

You found it.  And yes, I do understand that it will be barely
functional at 60 M. It does give me 10, 15, and 20 M so that would be
nice break in the driving.  The antenna only needs the coil for 60 m, 40
M, 30M  and barely (1 turn) for 20M,  I am going to think about your
suggestion for 40.   But it is collapsible and I started with the
premise that if I am going to the TT Fleamarket, I should bring a radio.
   I have the Argosy, and it works,  I can find picnic benches between
here and there. This antenna seems like a reasonable compromise and the
Argosy dunna work so well without one.

As to radials, I was thinking about 12 radials  about 15 ft long.
Attach 2 sets to each side of the base with a wing nut. Again, it isn't
ideal, but should work reasonably well.  I was thinking about getting a
15 or so 40 or 60 d nails to use as anchors.  Maybe 20d nails might be
better, or at least cheaper and easier to insert into the ground.  I
could crimp large rings on the outer end of each radial and nail it
down, so to speak.  At any rate, I do believe that 12 to 16 radials is
the minimum to make the antenna play nice.

At the very least,it is an interesting project.

John / WA1JG