Re: [TenTec] Top receivers

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Top receivers
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 10:48:22 -0700
On 5/14/2012 8:00 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
> Jim, based on that (which I fully believe), our only recourse is to START
> DEMANDING CLEANER TRANSMITTERS.

I strongly agree, Rick, and that includes power amplifiers.

But even the cleanest rig and amp can generate trash if the amp is
over-driven, if the amp is mis-tuned, if AGC is used between the amp and
the rig to set TX power, if the audio is overdriven anywhere in the
signal chain, and if the audio has excessive bandwidth.  EVERY ONE of
those problems is an OPERATOR problem, NOT an equipment problem.  In
this day of near box-top licenses, where almost anyone can memorize
their way through a multiple choice exam, far too many hams don't have a
clue about most things technical.  And most of those who don't also
don't care.

Indeed, the solution to a desire to compete is MORE and BIGGER.  The
other guy isn't hearing me?  Shout louder, buy a bigger amp, crank the
compression to 99, and buy the latest whiz-bang equalizer and mic. Don't
bother me with studying the fundamentals to learn how to actually use
what I already have properly.

73, Jim K9YC