[TenTec] Cascaded Inrad 763 and 764 filters for early Omni VI 563 rig

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Cascaded Inrad 763 and 764 filters for early Omni VI 563 rig
From: Peter Bertini <radioconnection@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 16:21:00 -0400
In case any one is curious... I added two sets of Inrad roofing filters to
my early Omni VI. This radio only has the N1 filter optiion, which is used
for a 500 Hz filter.

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj129/k1zjh/Omni%20VI%20Ten%20Tec%20563/

I decided to cascade two of the Inrad roofing filtter kits in series to
give the best of both worlds (SSB and CW.)

The first Inrad board is mounted per the directions in the Inrad sheets,
but second board had to be mounted on wall on in the upper compartment due
to limited space.   (Reference photo links.)

The 763 CW filter board uses the diode "OR" gates on J3 of the
Inrad board to sample whether the 250Hz or 500Hz lines on the
J41 filter bus are actiive. J3 on the Inrad the 764 SSB roofing filter
samples the  2.4 and 1.8 kHz filter lines on the J41 bus.

So far, it is working as intended.

I may look into an easy way to disable the 12 volt feed to both boards
to bypass both roofing filters.

The RF TMP jumper cables supplied  with the Inrad kits were long
enough to cascade both boards.  I cut into the J41 interface
jumper cable at the control board and at the second IF board for
the necessary J3 Inrad board interfacing. . All power and control
leads on the Inrad boards had  ferrite beads added for
decoupling.  So far, so good! Since this Omni VI is the last radio
I intend to ever need, I'm happy so far!

Pete